How To Add A Sign Up Form In WordPress
This is another one of those things that when I haven’t done it for ages, I struggle to remember how to do – add a sign-up form or pop up box to WordPress.
I use Highend theme for most of my sites these days because I love how configurable it is and I haven’t found any real issues with it (I’ve been using it for a couple of years now).
Remembering where that somewhere is, for me, is the challenge!
As in the screenshot below, the script needs to be copied from your autoresponder account where you’re setting up your sign-up box (I use Getresponse – they do a great job for a great price) to the footer.php file in your WordPress site.
Follow the steps below…
- Grab your script from your pop-up box setup (Control+C to copy)
- Go to the admin area of your Wordpress site
- Hover your mouse over ‘Appearance’ in the left hand menu
- Click on ‘Editor’
- Once the editor opens find your ‘footer.php’ file on the right hand side (Tip: Control+F to open a search box and type in ‘footer’ to find it easily if your theme has loads of files)
- Scroll down to the bottom of the file and find the </body> tag (see screenshot)
- Save the footer.php file
- Test to make sure it is working (Tip: Use an incognito window to make sure that cookies aren’t stopping your pop-up from coming up if you’ve set it to not display every time a visitor comes to your site which is a very good idea)
First: It always pays to make a copy of any theme files you are changing before you change them! (Unless you are sure you know what you’re doing). I will not be held responsible if you stuff up your theme…
Second: It may pay to put a copy of this footer.php file into a child theme if you have one so that it doesn’t get overwritten when your theme updates.
Third: I hope this is relevant to your theme. I think it should work for most, but I can’t guarantee that. However I do know that it works for the Highend theme 🙂